A McDonald’s customer claims he discovered a dead snail in his burger.
Aiden Griffiths, 24, was tucking into a South Carolina Stack burger at home when his teeth hit something hard.
He was then sickened to find he had nearly eaten an adult snail, complete with shell, which was lying between the two patties.
The IT engineer, from Worcester, said: ‘I was chomping into the burger when on my third bite my teeth hit something hard.
‘I spat out my mouthful and saw perched in between the bun and the burger was a snail.
‘Because of my job I travel around a lot and always go to McDonald’s but I don’t think I’ll ever go back. It was grim.’
Aiden had paid Uber Eats £2.50 to deliver the burger, along with a double cheeseburger and McFlurry, on June 5.
He took a picture of the snail and emailed it to McDonald’s, who then refunded his meal.
Aiden said the fast-food restaurant was ‘helpful’ but seemed to be ‘blaming Uber Eats’ for the disgusting discovery.
He said: ‘It was delivered in a sealed plastic bag. Surely, it’s McDonald’s’ fault. The refund is fine, but it’s not about the money, it’s about finding who is responsible for it.’
Uber Eats also refunded the full amount of the delivery.
A spokesman for McDonald’s said: ‘We are disappointed to hear this customer’s experience was not a positive one.
‘We have found no evidence that this originated in the restaurant or in the delivery process, however, Uber Eats has refunded the full cost of the customer’s meal and their delivery charge.’